Craving for a burger but couldn’t find the vegan recipe option? Why not try making one yourself instead of spending hours looking for one? I promise you the ingredients used for making these vegan sweet potato burger patties (which I’m going to show you in a minute) are really simple. All you got to do is play with different spices to bring out their flavours.
Also, these homemade patties are so much healthier compared to those sold on the market which usually contain lots of preservatives or other chemicals. This recipe will yield about eight patties, and you don't have to serve them as traditional burgers. You can add it into a bowl of salad, or can even serve them over a bowl of piping hot white porridge. If you haven't tried this recipe before, you must give it a go!
Vegan Sweet Potato Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes ( peeled and diced)
- 1/3 cup of uncooked quinoa or 1 cup cooked
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats
- One can of black beans ( rinsed and drained) or 2 cups cooked
- 1/2 small red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup of lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves ( chopped)
- Two teaspoons of cumin powder
- One teaspoon of chilli powder
- One teaspoon of chipotle powder or smoked hot paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Special kitchen appliance needed:
A food processor
An electric mixer ( optional, a mixing bowl should work fine as well)
- Steam the sweet potatoes. You can do so by placing them into a steamer basket. Then, place the steamer basket in a pan which comes with a lid.
- Fill the pan with water up to the bottom of the steamer basket.
- Cover the pan and bring the water to boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat slightly and let the sweet potatoes steam for 20 to 30 minutes. You may not be able to steam all the sweet potatoes at once so you may have to repeat the process a few times.
- Set the steamed sweet potatoes aside to cool completely. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa.
- In a small saucepan, bring one cup of water to boil. Stir in the quinoa, reduce heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Let it simmer for 25 minutes until tender. Drain off any excess water from the quinoa and set it aside to cool.
- Next, grind the oats. Add the oats into a food processor and grind them until they are torn into tiny pieces but not as fine as flour.
- Transfer the steamed sweet potatoes, cooked quinoa, cooked black beans, diced onions, chopped cilantro leaves, cumin powder, chilli powder, chipotle powder, cayenne powder, and salt into the bowl of your electric mixer.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Don’t bother if you end up smashing the black beans during the process.
- After that, sprinkle the oats pieces all over the mixture.
- Mix them well using a spoon until they can stick together when you shape a portion into a patty.
- Refrigerate the mixture for half an hour so they can hold together better when being cooked later.
- Lastly, shape the patties. Use a measuring cup to measure out a ½ cup of the mixture. Gently shape it into a patty about 3 ½ inches in diameter.
- Use your hands to flatten the burgers and smooth out any jagged edges gently. Repeat the process for each patty; you should end up with 8.
And there you go! Your vegan burger patties are ready! You can either toast them in an oven or pan fry them. Both ways can get you your desired result. Enjoy!
Also, if you are a cheese fan you would want to take a look at this vegan mac and cheese recipe. That's a taste riot and once you try it out you'll know why!